A skill we are taught during maintenance is recipe modification. Rather than saying, “I’ll never eat ______ again,” we work to find ways to incorporate our favorite foods into our new, healthier lifestyles. Although I’m no cook, and I’m certainly no baker, I was known for making a tasty loaf of banana bread in the past. When a friend asked for my recipe, I dug it out and gave a copy to her. While I was looking at it, I started applying some of those UAMS skills. With my dietitian‘s help, I think we have a winner!
- 3 large well-ripened bananas
- 1/4 cup nuts, toasted
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup Splenda Granulated (or 8 packets)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the nuts. In a skillet over medium-high heat, toast the nuts, stirring frequently.
- Peel the bananas, placing them in a mixing bowl. Mash the bananas with a fork.
- Stir the egg whites, applesauce, skim milk, toasted nuts, and raisins into the mashed bananas.
- In a separate mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the flours, Splenda, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- With a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until a stiff dough forms.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray, and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack.
- After cooling, slice into 12 pieces.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (1/12 loaf)
- Calories: 128 kcal
- Carbohydrate (76%) 25.65 g
- Protein (10%) 3.45 g
- Total Fat (14%) 2.14 g
- Monounsaturated 1.08 g
- Polyunsaturated 0.6 g
- Saturated 0.23 g
- Cholesterol 0.14 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.48 g
- Sodium 333.27 mg
What healthy recipe modifications have you made recently?
- Moist Applesauce Chiquita Banana Loaf Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Best Fiber-Rich Chiquita Banana Loaf Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (grainmillwagon.com)
- Sugar free banana bread! (shrinkinginkdgirl.com)
- Paleo Banana Muffins (cavemanmodernwoman.wordpress.com)
- Low-Carb Banana Spice Muffins (yourlighterside.com)