During our week 12 maintenance class pot luck, I got to taste a variety of excellent, healthy dishes prepared by my classmates. I’ve asked the class for permission to share their recipes with you, and several responded positively. Becky brought Szechuan Chicken with Noodles, a recipe she found on iVillage.
3 5-oz. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into thin strips
2 tbsp. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Canola Oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 10-oz. package Broccoli Slaw
1 bunch Scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
4 oz. Whole Wheat Spaghetti, cooked
2 tbsp. Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
2 tsp. Sugar
2 tbsp. Pine Nuts, toasted
- Combine chicken and cornstarch in large zip-close plastic bag. Squeeze out air and seal bag. Shake until chicken is coated evenly.
- Heat wok or large deep nonstick skillet over high heat until a drop of water sizzles in pan. Add 1 tsp. of oil and swirl to coat.
- Add chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to plate.
- Remove pan from heat, wipe clean with wet paper towel to remove any cornstarch. Return to high heat and add remaining oil.
- Add broccoli slaw and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add scallions and pepper flakes. Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok along with spaghetti. Stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Stir-fry until mixed well, about 1 minute.
- Serve sprinkled with pine nuts.
Yield: 4 Servings
- Calories 324
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Protein 30g
- Carbohydrates 36g
- Fiber 7g
- Sodium 347mg
Having seen it in person, I’d probably stretch this recipe to 5 servings, which would work out to the following nutrition and exchange information:
Yield: 5 Servings
- Calories 260
- Fat 6.4g
- Protein 24g
- Carbohydrates 29g
- Fiber 5.6g
- Sodium 278mg
- Protein 2.5 – 3
- Carbohydrate 2
- Fat 1