This recipe has been floating around the Internet in one form or another for a while. There are various versions which add different types of cheeses, use different amounts of chicken, and enhance the sauce with one spice or another. I felt it was my turn to try it, so here’s my version. I’ll attribute Iowa Girl Eats, as mine most closely resembles hers, although I first saw the dish on Friends On A Budget.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli
- 8 oz whole wheat rotini
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cut chicken breasts into cubes, and cook in a pan over medium high heat, remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water. Add broccoli to pasta water during last 3 minutes. Drain pasta and broccoli and set aside, reserving 1/2 c of pasta water.
- Heat EVOO in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle flour into skillet with garlic and whisk to incorporate for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Whisk in greek yogourt, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and stir in cheese and chicken until combined. Mix with pasta and broccoli and stir to coat.
- Serve with additional cheese on top if desired.